Skip to main content

Working Hard *AND* Hardly Working

I got a new job in February and I can knit at it. If you're a knitter, you understand that this is pretty epic. Anyway, as such, I have been a knitting fiend lately.

My sister, a biology major, wanted a DNA sweater vest for her birthday. That was Valentines Day :P. I started on this last week. But better late than never. Needless to say, she liked it.

Yep, that's a robot behind her. Because, you know... SCIENCE. We were actually out front of my favorite Milwaukee business The Tool Shed. They host a monthly knitting group called Femiknits that I never miss.

Close up of the DNA cable and the lace back. I'm not usually one for lace, but it knits up super fast with all those holes. I was surprised how quickly I got this out.

Also, I bought THESE at the Tool Shed. Knitty/Crafty socks! When I saw them I was all "Ohmanohmanohman!" And then I bought them. ^__^

My next project is a baby mobile for my friend Heather that's due in October. I've got plenty of time, but I'm too excited about it to wait. It's going to be composed of sea creatures because I don't know if she's having a boy or a girl. Aqua-life aren't gendered :P. I'm doing all of them in size 0 needles so they'll be tiny.

Here's my little sea star. Above is the underside and below is the top.

And here's Nessie the Loch Ness monster. I ran out of yarn so she unfortunately doesn't have horns, but I think her quizzical tilted head says it all. She's all like, "Do I exist? Shuddup, you don't know me."


I'm three tentacles into a cute little baby octopus. More pictures to come. :}

Comments

  1. Ahhh so this is the DNA vest you were talking about! It looks fantastic!.. and the little sea critters... they were definitely "awe"-worthy! Super adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Anti-Hipster Scarf - FREE PATTERN

Hooray, my first pattern. I thought because this was my first one, I'd give it to all y'all for free. Yeah, I'm cool like that. Plus... I've never bought a knitting pattern before, so why should I expect anyone else to? Soooo, here it be! Anti-Hipster Scarf Gauge: 6 sts = 1", 6 Rows= 1" Needle Size: 5 Yarn: Main Color (MC)- Poems 100% Wool Yarn in Pink/Purple/Gray/Gold (Poems has a great selection of self striping yarn, so really any of the color-ways would look nice in this pattern) Contrasting Color (CC)- Cascade 100% Wool in Black -- Cast on 30 sts. Row 1, 3, & 5: (K1 MC, K1 CC) 3 times, K6 in CC, (K1 MC, K1 CC) 3 times, K6 in CC, then (K1 MC, K1 CC) 3 times. Row 2, 4, & 6: (P1 MC, P1 CC) 3 times, P6 in CC, (P1 MC, P1 CC) 3 times, P6 in CC, then (P1 MC, P1 CC) 3 times. Row 7, 9, & 11: K6 in MC, (K1 MC, K1 CC) 3 times, K6 in MC, (K1 MC, K1 CC) 3 times, then K6 in MC. Row 8, 10, & 12: P6 in MC, (P1 MC, P1

Staghorn Scarf Pattern

Staghorn                                   The yarn you use and needle size probably doesn't make a lick of a difference. I used Vanna White's line of yarn because I loved the color, it was super soft, and cheap. It took 1 1/2 balls of yarn. I used size 10 1/2 needles (6.5 mm). Abbreviations: k: knit p: purl sl1kw: slip 1st stitch knit-wise sl1pw: slip 1st stitch purl-wise BC: place 2sts on a cable needle in the back, k2, k2 from cable needle FC: place 2sts on a cable needle in the front, k2, k2 from cable needle Cast on 30 stitches. Row 1 (WS and   all  other wrong side rows): sl1pw, k2, p2, k2, p16, k2, p2, k2, p1. Row 2: sl1kw, p2, k2, p2, k4, BC, FC, k4, p2, k2, p2, k1.  Row 4: sl1kw,  p2, k2, p2, k2, BC, k4, FC, k2, p2, k2, p2, k1. Row 6: sl1kw,  p2, k2, p2, BC, k8, FC, p2, k2,  p2, k1. Repeat rows 1-6 until desired length.* Cast off while following the WS of the pattern, it looked most natural casting off after Row 2. *My fav

Octo-Cozy Pattern

These little guys are "Dimples" and "Maddy" (Maddy is named after her new mommy, Madison Young, the film maker that I had the honor of meeting this week who said she liked Dimples so much I had to make her one of her own.) Now these little critters are hollow and can cover anything, though I've been selling them at the store The Tool Shed , where I work, to cover naughty things like vibrators, dildoes, and/or butt-plugs, and make them look adorable and fun. A customer and fellow knitter asked if I would divulge the pattern and since most people that might have a use for one of these babies can't make it all the way to Milwaukee, WI to buy one of mine, I figured I would share the simple pattern with the world so they can have their own Octo-Cozy. Octo-Cozy Yarn : Any yarn can be used for this project depending on how large you want the cozy to be. I used sock yarn for both of these examples, one was self-stripping sock yarn so I only used one col